Share |

Another iPhone catches fire, this time in Brazil

An accident late last month where an iPhone caught fire aboard an Australian airplane may not be an isolated incident after all, after another iPhone shorted and burned in possession of its owner in Brazil.

Bloggers reported the incident happened last November 22, where an iPhone 4 shorted while charging and burned mere inches away from the face of owner Ayla Paulo Mota.

“At dawn, I woke up seconds before I witnessed the burning of my iPhone when I saw sparks and black smoke out of the smartphone. My room was filled with smoke that smelled of plastic!” Mota said.

Mota was quoted in the BlogDoiPhone blog as saying he turned off the power switch in the room and removed the iPhone’s charger from the electrical outlet. Now, the blog said Mota does not know who to turn to so he can report the problem, since he bought the iPhone in France earlier this 2011.

“In Brazil the guarantee system of the iPhone is different from other countries, it only covers products purchased in the country,” the blog said.

The blog also noted that in Brazil, many users leave their machines plugged in the whole night and nothing ever happened.

A separate incident reported on tech blog site Mashable said that in 2009, a teenager in France claimed to have been hit in the eye with a glass splinter from his girlfriend’s iPhone, which began hissing and its glass screen exploded.

Mashable added Apple has so far not responded to Mashable comment requests on the Brazilian or Australian incident reports.

Earlier in the week, an Australian airline said an iPhone caused a small emergency aboard an Australian airplane after it glowed red and emit “significant amounts of dense smoke” as the craft touched down in Sydney airport. Regional Express (Rex) stated the incident occurred on its flight ZL319 operating from Lismore to Sydney last November 25.

Regional Express said a passenger’s mobile phone “started emitting a significant amount of dense smoke, accompanied by a red glow.” The flight attendant immediately carried out “recovery actions” immediately and the red glow was extinguished quickly, it added. All passengers and crew on board were unharmed, it said.

Regional Express said the mishap has been reported to the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) as well as the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) for investigation.