The first telephone exchange in Colo was owned by the Boone County Telephone Company. The switchboard was located in rooms above the Colo Savings Bank. In 1906, interest was generated in obtaining a locally owned telephone company. An offer to buy Boone County Telephone's poles, wire, switchboard and the Colo franchise for $600 was turned down. Undaunted, the Johnson's Grove, Colo & New Albany Mutual Telephone Company was officially formed. Theu mutual decided to negotiate a long distance contract with Bell Telephone. By January 1907, Boone County Telephone Co. stopped providing all local service but retained ownership of the toll lines. In 1957 a new aerial cable plant and headquarters building was constructed to house Colo's first automatic central office, ending the era of the local operator. An all one-party buried cable plant was constructed in 1968, again with a new central office. Colo converted to digital switching in 1985 and a replacement digital switch was installed in 1995.